Store bought dough topped with fig butter, caramelized onions, proscuitto, goat cheese, arugula, and a light drizzle of balsamic glaze makes a delicious 30 minute pizza!
This fig butter pizza is totally the pizza that you invite friends over for and they think you are incredible and gifted and a pizza expert, when in reality it took 30 minutes from start to finish and it couldn’t be easier. As much as I love making things homemade, and I honestly do, there are some serious advantages to the “semi” homemade route. I will stand over the stove top for an hour, patiently cooking risotto. I find it calming, and the end result is so incredibly worth it. But sometimes with pizza I want all the goodness with none of the work. Sometimes I don’t want to wait for the dough to rise. Ya feel me?
Glad we’re all on the same page. That’s why we’re using store bought dough for this recipe. You can buy either frozen or fresh pizza dough. Or if you have a homemade pizza recipe you love, use that! I personally love Trader Joe’s fresh whole wheat dough. You can find it in the refrigerated section, and it makes really good pizzas. You can also find pizza dough at Walmart, Target, and a lot of other grocery chains.
The “hardest” part about this recipe is caramelizing the onions. And to be honest, we aren’t fully caramelizing them. That can take about an hour! (Which sometimes, like risotto, is worth it.) We’ll cook the onions for about 25 minutes and they will be partially caramelized, but not the deep brown color you get from the full process. Still delicious, and still perfect on this pizza!
While your onions are caramelizing, spread out your pizza dough, and spread on some fig butter. I buy fig butter at Trader Joe’s (of course), but if you can’t find fig butter, use fig jam! The fig butter is the only thing that goes on the pizza until after it comes out of the oven.
When the pizza is done, top it with your caramelized onions, chunks of goat cheese, pieces of proscuitto, arugula, and a little balsamic glaze. 30 minutes and you have a delicious fancy pants fig butter pizza to enjoy with a glass of wine.
- 1 store bought pizza dough
- 1 jar fig butter
- ½ white onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 oz goat cheese log
- 4-6 slices of proscuitto
- 2 oz arugula
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Heat tbsp of butter in a skillet (preferably cast iron or stainless steel) over medium heat
- Slice ½ an onion into thin strips and add to the skillet
- Gently stir the onions every 5 minutes for 25 minutes. If they start burning at all, adjust the heat.
- While your onions are caramelizing, get your pizza dough ready
- Follow package instructions to prepare the dough and spread the middle with fig butter
- Cook pizza to package instructions
- When the pizza is done, top with your caramelized onions and crumbled goat cheese. Tear your proscuitto into pieces and place on pizza along with arugula and a light drizzle of balsamic glaze.