This odd combo works together so well! Fig butter and cheddar are a match made in heaven, add caramelized onions and you have the perfect chicken grilled cheese.
JUST TRUST ME OKAY.
I know it sounds a little strange, but this combo is perfect and I stand behind this chicken grilled cheese 100%. It’s sweet, salty, earthy, nutty and utterly delicious. Lightly caramelized onions compliment the natural sweetness of the fig butter and enhance the flavor. Chicken balances it all out!
I’m telling ya, melted cheddar and fig butter are like pb&j.
If I ever open the food truck I joke about starting, this bad boy’s going to be a regular 😉
This chicken grilled cheese is the third recipe in our Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Series, and I also think it’s the most “fun” recipe yet. Let’s walk through each ingredient:
- Sourdough bread– a nice buttery toasted sourdough is perfect!
- Cheddar cheese– I use sargento sharp cheddar slices for a really bold flavor.
- Fig butter– Trader Joe’s fig butter is delicious and you can also use it on the semi-homemade prosciutto, goat cheese, and fig butter pizza.
- Chicken– save some time and use rotisserie chicken
- Lightly caramelized onions– Caramelized onions take a little time, which is why this ingredient is optional, but highly recommended. They add another depth of flavor that is worth the effort.
- FOR THE SANDWICH
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp fig butter
- 3 slices of sharp cheddar (I use Sargento)
- 1-2 oz rotisserie chicken
- caramelized onions
- FOR THE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ small yellow onion
- sprinkle of sugar
- If you are going to use caramelized onions, start making those first. Heat 1 tbsp butter over medium low heat. While the butter melts, slice your onion into small strips.
- Add the sliced onions to the butter and sprinkle with a little bit of white or brown sugar. Slowly cook them, only occasionally moving them around the pan for about 15 minutes until the onions start to caramlize and turn brown.
- Assemble your grilled cheese by spreading fig butter on one side of bread. Top it with chicken, onions, cheddar cheese, and the second slice of bread. Butter both sides of the bread and cook in a skillet over medium heat. Cook on one side until bread is golden and then flip to the other side. Remove when cheese is melted.