BBQ chicken taquitos are stuffed with bbq chicken, peppers, onions, and pepperjack cheese, then baked for an easy meal any night of the week.
This is such a fun little recipe. Chicken taquitos that are baked, but still totally crispy thanks to a few simple tricks, and loaded with cheesy, bbq flavor. Garlic Butter Pizza Taquitos have long reigned as the number one recipe on here, because they’re amazing, but I felt like it was due time for a some taquito competition. And let’s be honest, these are a little bit more of an accpetable week night meal.
Let’s breakdown the recipe:
- Bake some chicken with just a little salt and pepper and then shred it up.
- Dice up some red peppers, red onion, and green onion into tiny little pieces. (Lemme see them knife skills people. Or just go nuts with the knife until their diced. Its fine.)
- Combine chicken, peppers, onions, bbq sauce, and garlic powder together.
- Place in a line of filling on your tortillas with a healthy amount of shredded pepperjack and roll em’ up.
- Bake until crispy chicken taquitos are done!
Does anyone else just LOVE bbq chicken like I do? Or are you just kind of okay with it? I’ve loved bbq chicken since my waitressing days at Old Chicago in college, when I always used to get bbq chicken pizza. In fact, that pizza was kind of my inspiration for this recipe. I don’t even know if they still have it, but way back in the day ;), it used to be made with red peppers and onions, green onions, and pepperjack cheese. The combination is so good and it tastes even better in chicken taquitos!
A few little notes to make sure you taqutios turn out as awesome as possible….
First, line your filling partially up the tortilla like pictured above, so that the filling goes all the way to the end of the roll. That way your first bite won’t be just tortilla. Second, make sure your taquitos get at least a little crispy! I spray the top of my chicken taquitos with a little cooking spray so that they crisp up, and then flip them over halfway through so that the bottom side isn’t soggy.
This is a family friendly recipe that everyone from your gal pal, to your husband, to your kid will be lovin!
- 1 chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package fajita size tortillas
- ½ red pepper
- ½ small red onion
- 3 stalks of green onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ⅔ cup bbq sauce
- 8 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle chicken breast with salt and pepper and cook for 20 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is cooking, finely dice your red pepper, red onion, and green onion. Place in a bowl and add in your garlic powder and bbq sauce, then set aside.
- When your chicken comes out shred it into small pieces and turn the oven temp to 400. (Note- I like to use my kitchen aid hand mixers to shred the chicken in a separate bowl. You can also use forks or your hands.)
- Add the chicken to the bowl with your veggies and bbq sauce. Stir to combine so that all the chicken and veggies are coated.
- To assemble the taquito, lay out a tortilla, and put some chicken filling about 2 inches up from the end of the tortilla. Lay a nice amount of pepper jack cheese on top of the chicken, and roll your tortilla so that the filling is in the center.
- Wrap them tight, and place them seam side down on a baking sheet.
- I like to spray my taquitos with a little cooking spray to help them get crispy. You don't need a lot, just a mist.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping the taquitos over halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!