Where my spice lovers at?
(If you don’t like spicy food, don’t leave. It will be okay. I promise.)
My husband doesn’t really like spicy food. He’s also not aware, until now, that I sneak cayenne pepper into about half my recipes. So maybe I’ve secretly conditioned him to it. Either way, he’s spicy-sensitive, and he loves these. And so do I. But can I just say two things real quick before we kick this bad boy off?
- Sundried tomatoes are seriously underrated. Every time I make this dish I fall back in love with them. (And then they end up in the back corner of my fridge until I make these again.)
- Picking your first recipe to blog about is hard you guys! Like, it’s got to be good you know? Hopefully I didn’t let you down. I picked this one because it meets my three weeknight dinner requirements: it’s super easy, it’s delicious, and it’s healthy-for all of you out there still rocking that New Years Resolution.
Okay. Spicy sweet chicken pitas. Here’s what we got going on:
This one starts with a simple marinade of Frank’s cayenne pepper sauce, honey, olive oil, and paprika. Throw it in a Ziploc bag and you’re 20 minutes away from dinner when you get home from work the following night – you’re welcome. It ends with a lemon, garlic, greek yogurt dressing that gets dolloped on top for pita perfection. Note: If you wanna tame down the spice, maybe two dollops, three? Knock yourself out, it’s just greek yogurt. You can also go a little heavier on the honey and a little lighter on the hot sauce in the marinade. See, I told you it would be okay.
The sun dried tomatoes go in the pan a minute or so before your chicken is done cooking to ensure proper sauce coating (technical term). And when that’s going on you can make a nice little spinach bed in your warm pita before placing in the chicken. There you have it, enjoy and let me know what you think!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ cup Franks Cayenne Hot Sauce
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (I prefer Fage 0%)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Juice from half of a lemon
- handful of spinach
- Pitas (I prefer whole wheat)
- Cut chicken into strips
- Place raw chicken and all marinade ingredients (paprika, hot sauce, olive oil, and honey) into a ziploc bag and allow to marinate overnight for best flavor or for at least an hour.
- Preheat skillet to medium heat and spray with non-stick if necessary. Making sure each strip is coated in the sauce, remove chicken from bag and place directly in the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Turn chicken occasionally so it browns evenly.
- While your chicken is cooking you can make your sauce. Simply combine the ingredients (yogurt, garlic powder, lemon) in a small bowl and mix together.
- When the chicken is about done, throw the sun dried tomatoes into the skillet.
- Remove chicken from the heat and warm pitas for approximately 15 seconds in the microwave.
- To assemble: open pita, place desired amount of spinach at the bottom, use tongs to load with chicken and sun drieds, top with desired amount of yogurt.