Pepper jack stuffed chicken burgers topped with sweet, grilled pineapple and a tangy, delicious salsa verde aioli used for both dressing and marinade.
“I love our life,” Paul said as he leaned over across the seat to give me a quick kiss.
We were coming home from the dog park on Sunday, and the day was starting slowly in the best way possible. I love when we rememeber to stop and soak in those small, everyday moments and cherish them. There’s just something about summer and a beautiful day that makes it HARD not to be happy.
Yes. Life’s so, so good. It’s not what we necessarily expected, as in I probably wouldn’t have guessed we would move out of our house in one day’s notice, and into my in-laws. But we got a lot of good things going on here! One being that they live in walking distance from aforementioned dog park, and Cheyenne has made it very clear that she approves. Another being that there’s the most adorable outdoor restaurant and shopping center that you can hit up for SATURDAY happy hour (a blessing in itself), and then stroll to the one of those fancy movie theaters with the reclined leather seats to watch Wonder Woman (10/10 recommend). All that and now we get everyday access to a grill.
You may think I’m just using that as a segue to talk about these amazing burgers (I kind of am), but for real friends. I whole heartedly love and adore grill food. And Lord have mercy, these pepper jack stuffed chicken burgers are ultimate. Stuffed with ooey, gooey, cheese, and topped with grilled pineapple and a salsa verde aioli that doubles as the marinade. They are bomb diggity dot com.
If you’ve never tried grilled pineapple you are truly missing out. Paul attempted to eat this burger without the pineapple at first. Rookie mistake. He tried it and admitted that the combination MAKES the burger. A little spicy, a little sweet, and a whole lot of flavor. What’s your favorite summer grill recipe?
- 1.25 lb ground chicken
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 4 oz cubed pepper jack cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup of salsa verde
- juice of one lime
- 4 tbsp mayo
- whole wheat buns
- 1 pineapple cut into rings
- Cut pepper jack cheese into cubes that will fit inside your burger patty
- Combine chicken, diced onion, egg, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, and chopped cilantro with hands until well combined
- Divide meat into 6 balls. Form burger patties by placing a cube of cheese into the center and forming the meat around the cheese. Place burgers in a 9x13 pan.
- Mix together salsa verde, honey, and lime. Reserving ⅓ cup of your marinade, pour the rest over your burgers. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When your burgers are almost done marinating, cut your pineapple into ½ in. thick rings and turn on your grill.
- Take your ⅓ cup of reserved salsa verde mix and add 4 tbsp of mayo. Whisk to combine to make your aioli.
- Grill chicken burgers for 5 minutes on each side. Grill pineapple for 1-2 minutes on each side. (*Note: Do not flip your burgers more than once! Chicken burgers do not have as much fat as beef and will have a tendency to crumble if moved too much.)
- Remove your chicken and pineapple from the grill and place on a bun with drizzled salsa verde aioli on top. Enjoy!
Other awesome chickens sandwiches: