Breakfast enchiladas filled with bacon, egg, and a delicious salsa verde cheese sauce! Bake ahead the night before and warm back up in the morning.
You’ve more than likely had enchiladas, but have you breakfast enchiladas?
When we went to Austin last month, we had breakfast tacos from Torchy’s Tacos, which I seriously recommend. (There’s also one in Denver.)
Anyway, it inspired me to combine my love for Mexican food and eggs, and thus, bacon and egg breakfast enchiladas were born. And they’re amazing. I would literally open a breakfast joint just to serve these and my rosemary cream cheese biscuits with chorizo gravy.
The cheese sauce is obviously the star of the show, because when does cheese sauce ever not steal the spotlight? Every time I make a cheese sauce (see- carne asada queso fries and pepperjack greek yogurt chicken alfredo), I tell you how easy it is….I really hope you believe me by now!
So…Are you ready to break it down?
- Step 1- Cook your bacon to package instructions. I used almost an entire package, because my husband is a big bacon fan. (Actually that’s just an excuse for me to eat a lot of bacon under the pretense of me being a good wife, but shhh.)
- Step 2- Scramble 10 eggs with a splash of milk and some salt and pepper. When they have set, remove from heat and place in a large bowl.
- Step 3- Cheese sauce time! Heat up equal parts flour and butter in a large skillet to make your starter (aka roux), then add your milk to create the sauce (aka béchamel). When the béchamel is nice and thick, like below, you can whisk in your cheese. When your cheese is melted and completely combined, turn off the heat and add your salsa verde.
- Step 4- Add most of your bacon and 1/3 cup of of your cheese sauce to your eggs.
- Step 5- Grease the bottom of a casserole dish. Grab a tortilla and place a thick line of your egg mixture part way up the tortilla. Roll it up and place it seam side down in the dish. Repeat until your mix is gone.
- Step 6- Top with the rest of your sauce and some chopped up pieces of bacon and throw ’em in the oven!
- 1 package of bacon (use as much as you'd like)
- 10 eggs
- 3 tbsp of milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¾ cup milk (I use 2%)
- 8 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
- ¾ cup salsa verde
- 1 package of fajita size tortillas
- Cook your bacon to package instructions.
- Whisk together your eggs with a little bit of milk and cook them scrambled over medium heat.
- When they are set, remove from the heat and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add flour and whisk together until a thick paste is made.
- Continuing to whisk the whole time, add milk and let it cook until it becomes very thick.
- When the sauce is thick, add the cheese, slowly whisking until it is all melted and combined.
- When it is fully melted, turn off the heat and whisk in your salsa verde.
- Chop your bacon into pieces and add most of it (saving some to place on top) to your eggs with ⅓ cup of your cheese sauce.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Grab a tortilla and place a scoop of your egg mixture part way up the tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until the mixture is gone.
- Top with the rest of your cheese sauce and bacon pieces and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.